Thursday, January 31, 2013

Foodie Penpal Package - January 2013

A new year for more new food and fun.

If you didn't see my first post about Foodie Penpals, here is a little information about the program.

-On the 5th of every month, penpals receive their pairs via email. Within 72 hours you must contact your penpal to chat about preferences and addresses. You won't be paired with the same two people so you sent to person A and person B sends to you. Gets you connected to two people per month.
-The boxes are to be filled with fun local foodie things or homemade treats. The spending limit is $15 and the box must also include something written (a note, recipes, etc.).
-Figure out the best method and price for shipping and get it in the mail by the 15th of the month. This gives each person enough time to receive the package, check out the contents and write a post about it if they have a blog. Those without a blog can create a guest post for their penpal if they desire.
-Foodie Penpals is open to US, Canadian & European residents.You will only be paired with others from your country.
-Each month you sign up so if you have a busy month you don't have to participate in that one. If you don't contact or send your package more than once you will not be allowed to participate again. It is meant to be fun for all rather than a chore or a disappointment.
Check out Lindsay over at The Lean Green Bean for more info and to sign up for February.

Okay, on to MY food! This month my package was prepared by Kristin over at Making Grand Plans. First off, great package. I was so happy to get it all! If you would like to see what I sent to Arianna, check out her guest post on my blog.

I love that most of this is available at a store I can go to!


Kristin sent me a really terrific group of foods. I have tried, and eaten, almost all of it already. She is from Kansas so the sunflower granola and the BBQ sauce was in reference to her location. The rest of it was from Trader Joe's which is one of my new obsessions so I know I can get more.

The Sunflower Granola is definitely my favorite food in the box and I am really sad that I probably cannot find anything like it around here but I will keep an eye out. Though I lived in the KC area, and with all of my subsequent trips, I only have experienced KC style BBQ once so I will have to find a recipe I want to use the sauce to make.

The pumpkin pancake mix was used for a family breakfast the same week I got the package and I am really glad I found a way to share it because I would have eaten all of it. It was delicious! The pumpkin flavor was not too overpowering but enough that you knew it was there.

I have tried two of the four nut butters and they are definitely an intersting twist for me. I eat peanut butter with an apple every single day as my afternoon snack so changing up the nut butter was fun. I do have to say the maple almond butter did not really have that maple flavor but maybe it was overpowered by the almond. The honey almond butter did have a bit of honey sweetness to it. I am saving the chocolate hazelnut butter for a special dessert or something.

The dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds are a great little "grab a few when you pass" snack. I like the tartness and really like the dark chocolate even though I prefer milk.

Definitely in love with this granola.


Overall great package and fun to get foods from a store where I can buy more. Thanks Kristin!

I am taking a break for February since I have some other things coming up but will definitely participate again in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment