Friday, November 30, 2012

I love packages!

One reason why I am the perfect online impulse shopper? I love getting packages! I love coming home and finding a box with my name on it outside my door.

When I found out about Foodie Penpals, courtesy of Lindsay at The Lean Green Bean, I knew I had to give it a shot. It combines my love of getting packages with my deeper love of FOOD. Win-win.



Foodie Penpals pairs people from across the country with others to send small, inexpensive packages of food. The point is to have connections but also to experience new and exciting food trends around the states. An interesting piece of the matches is that the person sending me food is not the same person to whom I send my package. So each month I am directly connected to at least two new people through our love of simple, fun, and local foods.

My match, Alexis, sent me an email right away when the matches were sent. After letting her know my personal food habits, which are "gimme," she sent me a wonderful package of delicious foods.

The package must include"something written" so Alexis included an adorable card.

First, how funny is it that someone from Florida sent me a package including a wild rice blend from California? Being a proud Minnesota girl I do love that wild rice. This blend actually includes wild, brown and red rices cultivated in California. I was very excited to see this in the box and have already used it in a delicious Mahnomen recipe (see previous post). It is delicious and has a great texture with the blend of rices.

The package also included sweet potato chips, the Food Should Taste Good brand which I love, and those were eaten quite possibly the next day. They are great with homemade guacamole and salsa.


Alexis also included some Chai Tea (yummy) and hot chocolate mixes (double-yummy). Either I gave her a lot more information than I thought about my food likes or we are the same person. Going into the winter when I love snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and ice skating, these will be used and enjoyed often. I will also use the trail mix and protein bar while enjoying outside winter activities.





In short, this was a great package for me. I get to experience some new rice and drink blends and connected with the wonderful Alexis.

Next month we are forgoing sending packages to penpals in lieu of sending money and supplies for relief efforts of Hurricane Sandy. Thanks, Lindsay, for an awesome movement!


The Lean Green Bean

No comments:

Post a Comment