Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Impulsive shoppers beware! Personal shopping is a click and a package away.

Through a wonderful blogger I follow, Jenna at Eat, Live, Run, I was turned on to a new way to shop. Terrific. My credit card is currently sobbing in the background.

I saw Jenna's post about joining stitch fix and knew I had to try it. How could I say no to a package made just for me of clothing I don't have to go to the store to find? I signed up, got my approval/invitation, and filled out my profile.

First, how weird and awesome is it to answer questions about myself with a definitive "No" on animal and floral prints and a resounding "Yes" on bright colors and dresses? Also, I joined this service because I don't HAVE style...so stop asking me what styles I like and what designers I know. Let's go with none.

Anyways, I love coming home to packages!



This was sitting outside my door. What a great welcome home surprise! I was pretty pumped to open and see what I got.

First, this dress. I have always liked wrap dresses but don't often find ones that I like on my body. This was unfortunately the same issue. Beautiful navy color, thick and luxurious organic cotton, very comfortable for both work and play. The problems I saw when trying it on were that it didn't wrap far enough around so it didn't lay right in the front. It also was a bit pricey for the type of clothing item than my budget would allow. 


Notice the adorable, and practical, pictures of how to wear it and ideas for different outfits? I love it too! This is why I need that personal stylist/shopper! "You, wear it this way and with this color to accessorize! Good!" If only...

At this point, I have to ask, does anyone remember the iconic and wonderful movie Clueless? How I wish I had Cher's closet and computer animated stylist. So much easier than actually thinking, right? Also, the David Bowie soundtrack would really pep up my morning rituals. 


The next three items were less than ideal. Each "fix" will include four clothing pieces and an accessory from what I understand. The accessory in my first fix was a simple silver necklace with rings set at intervals. The only real problem is that I didn't like where those rings were set and that I can find similar pieces already hanging on my wall. The two shirts were both concepts I have tried and don't enjoy. The no-shape button-front shirt is not good for a curvy girl. And the V-neck with ruffles at the center of the chest draws too much attention to a spot where I do not need to draw attention.


The redeeming factor in both shirts is that I loved the color of both. Bright jewel tones are wonderful. I will definitely look for these colors when I go shopping. Gulp.

The one piece I seriously considered keeping was this gorgeous cowl-neck sweater. The color was great, the cowl was really large which I really liked, the fabric was soft and not itchy as sweaters tend to be. The idea card included tucking it in to a pencil skirt which I really loved as an outfit.

Yes, the horror of the blurry, mirrored self-portrait. Again, I am not a photographer.
Overall, the fix and the experience were terrific. I was sad to send it all back after having a fun Saturday afternoon fashion show for myself. If you are ever needing a boost, have someone else dress you up for a while. Fun!



In the end, I did not keep any of the pieces in this first fix but I hope to find more success when out shopping on my own, with some ideas in tow, and more success in my next fix. Good news, they send a little gift with each fix so I have a new colorful package of different sized sticky notes.

stitch fix = 1
Molly = Let's say .5 :)

If you are interested in setting up your own fix, check it out: Take me to stitch fix! 

No comments:

Post a Comment