Thursday, April 11, 2013

Another Stitch Fix, Another Disappointment - Removing Excess

I ordered a second fix. I wanted something cute that would make me feel pretty. Not really sure that I got anything close to that but it was another one where I debated on one or two pieces and ultimately sent it all back.

I understand that designer brands will be more expensive even if the quality isn't better but that still baffles me. People are out there buying this scarf (in the plastic wrap) that is itchy, and faded/designed in a way that pretty much anyone with access to a straight edge and a fabric store could recreate it for about $10.00. That was the biggest disappointment in the box.

The dress (not pictured) had me debating for a little while. I love the colors and the concept as it was navy and tangerine color blocking. Maybe I just have myself listed as the wrong size on the profile. It just didn't fit well enough that I wanted to spend that much money on it. I do love the idea of it and have been watching for similar items in stores.

Then I ordered another fix and specifically stated I wanted zero work pieces and fun stuff for my birthday. This fix actually had a couple pieces that were difficult to return. Similar to the above I could not justify keeping pieces for so much when I can find or recreate them for much less. I actually said in my review that the sweater (off-white) was really ugly. It was.

In the end, this may have been my final fix. I think this has proven to me that I really don't care about designers for my clothing. Yes, I have designer handbags and shoes. Yes, if I find designer clothing at the consignment shop I try it on. However, I have solidified that I do not need these things.

I don't think I ever believed I did but there are times when I wished I could "look like that" or "have really cool pieces in my wardrobe like that." I recently heard about this book, An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess, which I have yet to read but the concept is removing excess in our lives. I like that idea. I have begun the process of truly slimming down possessions and the urge to buy MORE. It is much more difficult than I thought it would be. I have known for quite a few years, since grad school to be exact, that I use buying stuff to mask some sort of emotional need that is unfulfilled. As behavioral-psych as it sounds I have actually found that since I started exercising regularly and practicing yoga these thoughts and feelings actually surface. I don't meditate or pray or find value in planned introspection. I just overanalyze everything. When I am running or at my yoga class I find my mind working through problems because my body is occupied. It has had wonderful effects that I did not plan. I hope to read the book and start my excess cleanse soon. I hope it continues the growth and changes I have made over the past two years. My bank account will thank me too.



1 comment:

  1. I wish you had pictures of these on you!! I'm dying to know the fit/style of the top two sweaters in the first box especially.

    I've made a new rule for myself when clothes shopping that if it doesn't fit perfectly and make me feel fantastic I'm not allowed to buy it. I've always limited how much I will pay for a single piece, which means I shop at cheaper stores and scour sale racks, but I think I would be better off paying up for one perfect thing vs having 4 things that are just okay. Which also ties into my secret goal of learning to sew and/or knit well enough to just make all my own clothes (or at least tops). Dream world: I master a basic button-up shirt pattern altered to fit me perfectly.

    We should hit up Opitz sometime for fun, when you're in the mood to experiment. We can pick out stuff for each other to try.

    ReplyDelete