Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Human Nature versus Dog Nurture

Though it is not an impulse of mine. I am a tried and true dog lover.

I grew up with dogs. Labs to be precise. We bred and birthed them in our home. We cooed at, socialized, and loved them until they went to other homes. We dog-sat for friends and family members while they went on trips. My parents hunted and never are the labbys more happy than when they are prancing through tall grass on the scent. I never knew a dog to be mistreated in my presence.





Then I grew up. We still have dogs, though fewer, and are no longer breeding the beauties. I learned there are people in this world who obtain an animal only to abuse and neglect it at every turn. I won't try to rationalize these actions. It seems impossible but happens every day. And yes, we humans seem to have the nature of hurting the downtrodden or those we deem "lower" than ourselves of any species.


Then Wags & Whiskers came into my life during my random stalking of available pups online. I also will not wax poetic (as if I could) on the wonderful work they do. What I want to say is how much they mean to me. I have found a place where my own love of animals is matched if not exceeded. I have found an outlet for my desire and ability to help organize events and help from afar as I am not able to foster an animal in my own home at this time. I have found a group of people that focus on loving and caring for animals that had nothing before. I have also challenged my own skewed ideas of nature versus nurture in learning about different breeds and training methods. Not only is a dog an extension of the care it receives from the owner it is a direct reflection of that person's inner being.

I hope to live up to the examples set by my parents and the volunteers in this organization.



Wags is currently running one of our biggest fundraisers of the year. If you are so inclined I would love to donate your funds to these animals.




http://www.razoo.com/story/2013-No-Kill-Walk-For-The-Animals-1?referral_code=share

No comments:

Post a Comment